Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Today's Lunch


I have no plans to become a blogger who posts every meal I eat as I don't need that sort of motivation to be accountable at this time. I also do not have the time, but I will occasionally post a meal and the recipes involved in case anyone is interested.

Today's lunch was egg salad on half a toasted onion and poppy seed bagel, 8 oz. homemade tomato soup, half a 500 ml. bottle of Coke Zero and an orange. This was quite a bit too much food for me to eat all at once though so I ate about 3 orange wedges and had to set the rest aside for later. I also took a Calcium supplement with the meal.

Here are the recipes and calorie breakdowns for this meal:

egg salad (this makes enough for 2 meals)
  • 3 medium eggs, hard-boiled (188 calories)
  • 2 tbsp. reduced calorie mayonnaise (60 calories) or use 1 tbsp. full fat mayonnaise and 1 tbsp. non-fat unsweetened yogurt (100 calories)
  • 1 thin slice onion, finely chopped (4 calories)
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste (any other spices you like, I sometimes use dill or add in a little yellow or whole grain mustard)
Place the diced onion in a bowl. Peel the eggs and pop the yolks into the bowl with the onions. Add the mayonnaise and sprinkle on the spices. Mash the yolks and mix until the yolks and mayonnaise are well incorporated into a paste-like mixture. Chop the egg whites and stir into the yolk mixture. Spoon half of this onto a toasted bagel and refrigerate the rest for tomorrow.

I will provide the recipe for the tomato soup later when I have more time to write it up and offer all of the calorie information. The soup is mainly pureed vegetables (tomato, onion, and carrot), spices, and water so it is not densely caloric and is nutritious. Of course, preparation is a big part of what makes it so delicious and much better than anything you could buy in a can.

1/2 bagel = 160 calories
egg salad (1/2 of above) = 126 calories (add 20 more if you use full fat mayo and yogurt)
soup = 50 calories
orange = 86 calories
total: 422

This was such a satisfying lunch. The bagel (from Costco) was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The egg salad was creamy and perfectly spiced and the soup was tangy, warming, and just salty enough. I'm not a huge fan of oranges, but I was in the mood for them today and the juicy wedges were really lovely when I slowly squeezed them in my mouth. :-)

I deal with the bagels by slicing them in half and wrapping each half in plastic and freezing them. When I want them, I can just take out a half and toast it in the toaster oven while still frozen.

No comments: