Thursday, April 15, 2010

In Praise of Stretchy Pants

I haven't weighed myself lately, but I've definitely lost at least 1/3 of the weight I expect to need to lose, if not more. I'm also certain that I've lost over 100 lbs. at this point. The surprising thing is that I'm still wearing the same clothes.

There are several reasons why I think I can do this. One is that these clothes are stretchy and I think that they were stretching to accommodate me before. My pants were size 28W, but I think that I was bigger than that and the pants and shirts were forgiving me with their elastic nature. The other thing is that I have found that doing a poor job of "taking them in" by cinching the waist on the biggest pants by about 8-10 inches has made them more wearable even after losing so much weight. It probably "helps" with pants that I'm losing weight in the lower half of my body more slowly so the voluminous hip and thigh area isn't quite so absurd-looking. It's still pretty big, but it doesn't feel like I'm swimming in my pants now that I've taken them in.

My shirts are starting to creep down lower and lower, but that's okay because now they are long enough to flow down over most of my belly rather than just cover the waistband of my pants. They also are a bit stretchy so they were probably not a perfect fit before.

Unlike most women who look forward to buying  new clothes as they lose weight, I'm gratified that I don't have to. I don't think new clothes at my current weight are going to really flatter me much as my shape is still decidedly rotund, and I don't want to waste money on interim clothes. I figure that I will have to bite the bullet and buy new things at some point, but, for now, I am praising stretchy pants for their ability to see me through such a massive change in size and still be wearable.

No comments: