Friday, October 23, 2009

Success is the Norm

When I first started this blog, I was motivated to talk about my calorie counting endeavors by the fact that each day when I met a goal was a distinctly different experience from the norm for me. Now, success is the norm and I'm finding that saying, "did well today" to be rather boring. It's the sort of boring that is good, mind you, but still boring. I probably won't be doing anymore reports on days I calorie count unless there's a reason to say something from now on.

Another issue is the time it takes to blog on the progress of calorie counting days is becoming harder to find. Three days a week is more than I can give up now that I'm stepping up my walking and trying to spend less time in front of the computer.

That being said, I'm still having problems eating as well as I'd like to on the whole. Mainly, I am not happy with how I'll pepper some of the early evening hours with snacking on small things rather than planning out something to eat properly. This isn't a matter of calories so much as a matter of behavior though.

In order to address this, I'm going to push myself to start to use Fitday's calorie counting calculator instead of my little notepad. The reason for this is that it's a hassle looking up items and adding them in as compared to marking them down quickly. I also want to track more details of the types of food I'm eating. I must say that I'm not a fan of the fussiness part of all of this, and may eventually fail to use it.

Right now, Fitday's multiple options for all sorts of things is a bit overwhelming. It's impressive, but a bit much to have to constantly enter. I want to lose weight, but I don't want to become so mired in the process that I don't have time for other things. Part of me thinks that becoming too deeply involved in the weight loss methodology is a bad thing because it consumes your life. I don't want to turn into one of those people who live their weight loss programs to the extent that it becomes cult-like or like a hobby. I fear that doing this will make it hard to return to a normal life at the end.

Part of me also thinks that perhaps this is simply what people have to do. If you're a food addict (and many obese people are), perhaps you have to live with a program. At any rate, I am torn at this point about how deeply to dive into the pond of weight loss culture. For now, I'm getting in up to my ankles and seeing if I can manage that part.

No comments: