Monday, August 10, 2009

No Comments

If I've found any readers, they'll notice that I don't allow comments on this blog. If you're fat, you already know why. If you're not, you may guess why. If you're clueless, I'll tell you why.

There is a lot of fat hate out there. In fact, you'd think the fact that obesity levels around the world are spiking would increase empathy for weight problems, but it seems as though it has only made it worse. Many people are disgusted by fat people and have no interest in understanding them or even tolerating them. Fat bias is quickly becoming one of the last acceptable forms of bigotry.

Given this, and the fact that I've had more than my share of abuse about weight my entire life, I'm not allowing comments. While I surely am shutting out potentially supportive voices, I don't need the people who are hateful tearing down what little self-esteem I have.

Also, I know that, in my efforts to express my struggles and problems, people will start in on me about everything I say being an excuse. These are the sorts of people who haven't lived with my upbringing or in my skin and are incapable of empathy. They're the sort of people who are so hopelessly self-centered that their world-view is the only one they can conceive of. Any one who has a problem they do not have is weak and they have only contempt for you.

So, my apologies to those who have something to say to me but can't say it, but I'm not far along enough in my mental and physical processes to take the ugliness that ultimately comes along with talking about being fat. If you have a weight problem, you know what I'm talking about.