Saturday, August 22, 2009

Temptation

One of the things people often talk about when they "diet" is that they have a lot of temptation and it's hard to resist eating unhealthy, sugary, or fatty food. One thing I've found is that the urge to be indulgent in the worst foods will start to pass after the first week. Your body is addicted to sugar and carbohydrates and will crave them hard at first, but the overwhelming nature of those urges will slowly erode the longer you are away from them, though they will never disappear.

The way I felt about controlling my eating the first time I lost a lot of weight and the way I still feel about it now is that, if you can't resist temptation or if you can't control yourself, you're probably not really psychologically ready to succeed. That's not to say you can't have some success and tough it out, but you're more likely to suffer setbacks and binge on things you shouldn't if you're having a lot of issues with temptation after the first few weeks. There's nothing wrong with this. It's hard to overcome the psychology and biology that drives indulgence, but it is important to recognize the patterns and try to understand them as part of the process of lifestyle change.

At the moment, there are at least 10 Reese's peanut butter cups in my refrigerator. The peanut butter cups are in the refrigerator for my husband's slow consumption. When I first told him that I was going to finally do something about my problem, he felt as if he shouldn't indulge or have anything "bad" on hand because it would seem like torture or encourage me to indulge. I told him that I wasn't going to succeed if I couldn't resist the presence of such things because it'd mean I wasn't really ready. The first time I succeeded, my family had all sorts of unhealthy junk food around, but I didn't want it.

Fortunately, I appear to be actually ready again. I've been working on improving my lifestyle in multiple ways and losing weight for about 2 months now and am not the least bit tempted by the candy in the house I pretty much forget they are there. The bigger problem for me is just not eating too many less "threatening" things like too much fruit, bread, potatoes, rice, or pasta. Keeping the portion sizes and the frequency of consumption of such things down to a level where I'm under the 2000 calorie mark really requires vigilance and restraint.