Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday: September 24, 2009

When it comes to food, I have noticed that it's easy to find yourself in a "stretch to fit" situation. The Thursdays which felt free a few weeks ago when I upped my total from 1200 to 1400 felt very constricted today. When I got to the end of the day, I was hard pressed to avoid going over the 1458 I reached.

The main issue is that the added 200 calories was consumed easily in one fruit smoothie (no sugar - just fruit, artificial sweetener, skim milk, and ice) which I added for a snack. It really is an object lesson in how quickly one snack or beverage can send your calorie counts high, even when the food you're eating is generally seen as healthy and low calorie.

It could be that I also went overboard on overestimating the calories at lunch. I had a big salad (lots of lettuce, onions, and 1/2 a tomato) with cottage cheese, dressing, and some croutons. I aimed high on the values for everything but the vegetables, but still. By the end of the day, while I was waiting for dinner time to roll around, I was starving and having to tell myself that this is what trying to lose weight is supposed to feel like. Yes, I was very, very hungry, but that's the price I'm paying for not being so for decades leading up to this point. I also walked more yesterday than usual, so that likely played a part as well, but I resisted the urge to eat more.

On the bright side, my bra continues to require tightening up. Besides being on the furthest hook, I now have to hike up the straps to nearly the point where they cannot be pulled up any more. New bras are definitely on the horizon, and this is quite encouraging.